Offers of work and volunteering opportunities with Survival in London and San Francisco are posted here. For positions in other offices (Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Milan), please see the Survival website in the relevant language.
Survival does not manage any projects overseas – we do assist some projects with tribal peoples, but these are run by the tribe itself. We do not send volunteers into the field, or sponsor any visitors other than our own staff.
Our resources are very limited and therefore we regret that we cannot reply to applications unless we are interested in pursuing them. We apologize for this. If you apply for a position and do not hear from us within ten days, please assume that we will not be pursuing your application at this time. You are, however, welcome to apply for other positions as they arise.
A genuine commitment to Survival and its work is more important than formal qualifications or a desire to work in the charity sector as a whole.
Are you a Ruby developer who’d relish the challenge of working for one of the most exciting human rights charities around?
Survival is the leading organisation supporting tribal peoples around the world. We’re radical, uncompromising in our belief that tribal peoples should be able to take their rightful place in the 21st Century, and innovative in our use of technology. Our website is a vital campaigning tool, and we’re now looking for an experienced Ruby developer to drive its evolution in the years ahead.
- Experience of SCRUM/ AGILE project management is an advantage, as is experience of working with legacy code.
An absolute commitment to Survival’s aims and objectives is essential, as is a willingness to help out with all aspects of Survival’s work. Our website is a vital part of our campaigning, so your work will be central to all aspects of Survival’s mission. This is a unique opportunity to be at the heart of one of the most exciting campaigning organisations around; it is not just a job.
Salary £30-35,000, depending on experience.
To apply, send your CV, and a cover letter explaining why you are the right person for the job, to email@example.com. There is no closing date – the position will stay open until the right candidate is found. Vacancy first posted here February 2017.
- You must have the right to work in the UK
- Hours of work: Monday – Friday, full time (10am – 6pm)
- Contract: 12 months (renewable), with a 6-month probationary period.
- Location: London head office.
Do you speak Kannada, Chhattisgarhi, Telugu or Assamese?
Giving tribal peoples a platform to speak to the world is an essential part of Survival’s work. We are now seeking enthusiastic individuals to help us transcribe and translate tribal video testimonies from Kannada, Chhattisgarhi, Telugu and Assamese into English. You don’t need written knowledge of these languages, but a high level of verbal proficiency, and excellent spoken English, are both essential, as is a commitment to Survival’s aims and objectives.
If you’re interested in volunteering to help with this work, please contact Sophie Grig: firstname.lastname@example.org
Survival’s Berlin office is looking for two interns in the fields of press and fundraising. Both positions require you to speak German as a first language and have a working knowledge of English. The positions are suitable for those interested in indigenous rights issues and human rights.
For more information and to apply visit: www.survivalinternational.de/ueberuns/jobs
We are looking for someone to help our press office build new media relationships and get our key campaign messages to new audiences. Getting the issues that tribal peoples face covered in the media, and raising public awareness, has always been a crucial part of what we do.
Applicants should be confident and enthusiastic, with a decent knowledge of both mainstream and alternative media, social media, and communications. Good language skills and a passion for Survival’s mission are essential, experience in journalism, PR, or the NGO sector would be a bonus.
Your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Helping the press department to find and contact new publications and journalists to encourage them to cover our campaigns.
- Building new relationships with newly established contacts to secure future press coverage.
- Helping to improve and increase our output on our various social media channels.
- Assisting in the organization of our press records and database of contacts
- Other press and outreach duties as required.
- Confidence and a willingness to contact people out of the blue
- Excellent standards of written and spoken English
- Familiarity with social media
- Good attention to detail
- A flexible and self-motivated attitude
- Some experience of databases
- Other skills e.g. design, writing, foreign languages useful but not essential
Please send your CV and a cover letter (max. one page) outlining your suitability for the role to: email@example.com.
Start: As soon as possible
Duration: A minimum of 2 days a week for 3 months, with some flexibility based on availability and qualifications
Please note that this position is unpaid but some travel expenses can be covered
We are looking for a volunteer to help maintain Survival’s presence on the web. The web is at the center of everything we do. Our message resonates with thousands of people all over the world. It is crucial that our website and IT infrastructure is properly maintained, and kept up to date with new developments.
To help us achieve this we need someone with a broad technical knowledge base, an ability to pick up new ideas quickly, and an enthusiasm for Survival’s work.
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- HTML/CSS formatting and design of content posted on the Survival website, and emails sent out to Survival’s supporters.
- Producing graphics and imagery for the web and email.
- Helping maintain Survival’s physical network: wired internet and wi-fi.
- Helping with server admin tasks, like uploading media to our Amazon S3 bucket.
- Photoshop/ Indesign/ video editing
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure – Networking, Mac desktop support
- Knowledge of Server Administration: Unix Shell, Amazon EC2, Amazon S3.
As well as the technical skills, you will need to be committed to Survival’s aims and ideals. If you’d like to help, please send a CV and covering email including:
- who you are and why you’d like to volunteer at Survival
- a brief overview of your previous experience
As well as an enthusiasm for and commitment to Survival’s work, the ideal candidate will be well organised and have good time-management skills. The ability to work as part of a team and take pleasure in routine, as well as more challenging, tasks, is important.
Applications will only be considered from candidates who have a right to live and volunteer in the UK. Please specify this information in your cover letter.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send your CV and cover email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Survival’s London office (near Barbican)
Start: As soon as possible
Duration: Ideally, 2-3 days per week for 3-6 months minimum – other, more flexible, arrangements might be possible.
Please note that this position is unpaid but some travel and food expenses can be covered.