Work for Survival
Offers of work and volunteering opportunities with Survival in London and San Francisco are posted here. For positions in other offices (Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Milan), please see the Survival website in the relevant language.
Survival does not manage any projects overseas – we do assist some projects with tribal peoples, but these are run by the tribe itself. We do not send volunteers into the field, or sponsor any visitors other than our own staff.
Our resources are very limited and therefore we regret that we cannot reply to applications unless we are interested in pursuing them. We apologize for this. If you apply for a position and do not hear from us within ten days, please assume that we will not be pursuing your application at this time. You are, however, welcome to apply for other positions as they arise.
A genuine commitment to Survival and its work is more important than formal qualifications or a desire to work in the charity sector as a whole.
Web Developer, London – UK
We’re looking for a talented web developer who knows Ruby on Rails to join our in-house new media team. You’ll help to produce web projects across Survival’s websites, web applications and social media presences.
Any other IT skills you have will count in your favour. Knowledge of simple network infrastructure and simple desktop support will be particularly beneficial.
As part of one of the most dynamic and exciting campaigning organizations around, you’ll have the satisfaction of being at the front line of Survival’s work defending the human rights of tribal peoples around the world.
Besides an enthusiasm for, and commitment to, Survival’s work, the ideal candidate will be well organised and have good time-management skills. The ability to work as part of a team and take pleasure in routine, as well as more challenging, tasks, is important.
To apply, please send a CV and covering email including:
- who you are and why you want the job
- an overview of your previous experience
Please send your CV and cover email to email@example.com.
- You must have the right to work in the UK
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Post first advertised here 18 March 2016.
- Salary: £23,000- £26,000, depending on skills and experience.
- Hours of work: Monday – Friday, full time (10am – 6pm)
- Contract: 12 months (renewable), with a 6-month probationary period.
- Location: London head office.
Internships in Press & Fundraising, Berlin – Germany
Survival’s Berlin office is looking for two interns in the fields of press and fundraising. Both positions require you to speak German as a first language and have a working knowledge of English. The positions are suitable for those interested in indigenous rights issues and human rights.
For more information and to apply visit: www.survivalinternational.de/ueberuns/jobs
Web volunteer, London – UK
We are looking for a volunteer to help maintain Survival’s presence on the web. The web is at the center of everything we do. Our message resonates with thousands of people all over the world. It is crucial that our website and IT infrastructure is properly maintained, and kept up to date with new developments.
To help us achieve this we need someone with a broad technical knowledge base, an ability to pick up new ideas quickly, and an enthusiasm for Survival’s work.
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- HTML/CSS formatting and design of content posted on the Survival website, and emails sent out to Survival’s supporters.
- Producing graphics and imagery for the web and email.
- Helping maintain Survival’s physical network: wired internet and wi-fi.
- Helping with server admin tasks, like uploading media to our Amazon S3 bucket.
- Photoshop/ Indesign/ video editing
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure – Networking, Mac desktop support
- Knowledge of Server Administration: Unix Shell, Amazon EC2, Amazon S3.
As well as the technical skills, you will need to be committed to Survival’s aims and ideals. If you’d like to help, please send a CV and covering email including:
- who you are and why you’d like to volunteer at Survival
- a brief overview of your previous experience
As well as an enthusiasm for and commitment to Survival’s work, the ideal candidate will be well organised and have good time-management skills. The ability to work as part of a team and take pleasure in routine, as well as more challenging, tasks, is important.
Applications will only be considered from candidates who have a right to live and volunteer in the UK. Please specify this information in your cover letter.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please send your CV and cover email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Survival’s London office (near Barbican)
Start: As soon as possible
Duration: Ideally, 2-3 days per week for 3-6 months minimum – other, more flexible, arrangements might be possible.
Please note that this position is unpaid but some travel and food expenses can be covered.